By Using Language Rooted in Andes, Internet Show=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=Hosts Hope to Save It (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 16:45:42 UTC 2014

By Using Language Rooted in Andes, Internet Show’s Hosts Hope to Save It

By KIRK SEMPLE
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/kirk_semple/index.html>AUG.
15, 2014

Segundo J. Angamarca, half-hidden in a thicket of electronic equipment on a
recent Friday evening, put on his headphones and glanced around the room, a
makeshift Internet radio station in his apartment in the Bronx.

“We’re all set, no?” he asked in Spanish. He punched a few buttons on a
console and, leaning into a live microphone, began speaking in the
percussive phonemes of a completely different tongue, one with roots in the
Andean highlands of his native Ecuador.

“We’re here!” he announced. “We’re here tonight for you, to help bring
happiness,from Radio El Tambo Stereo.”

And so began the inaugural broadcast of “Kichwa Hatari,” perhaps the only
radio program in the United States conducted in Kichwa, an Ecuadorean
variant of Quechua, an indigenous South American language spoken mainly in
Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru.

Access full article below:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/nyregion/on-internet-radio-preserving-a-language-rooted-in-the-andes.html?_r=1