Indigenous languages won=?WINDOWS-1252?Q?=92t_?=survive if kids are learning only English

Troike, Rudolph C - (rtroike) rtroike at email.arizona.edu
Fri Aug 22 05:37:06 UTC 2014

Sadly, Wayne is 100% right in most of the typical circumstances
which occur in most schools and communities today. Schools can
valorize native languages and values, and perhaps incentivize a few
individuals and families to undertake the dedicated effort to learn/
maintain the native language. But unless there is the commitment
in the community among parents and grandparents of children, and
a corresponding commitment in the school to institute a true and
full bilingual program, most efforts, no matter the good intent with
which they are undertaken, are doomed to failure. Wayne Holm
showed at Rock Point, Arizona, that it IS possible to develop a
full bilingual curriculum through high school, and I have met some
of the very successful bilingual AND biliterate graduates of the
program as students here at the University of Arizona. But part-
time "feel-good" efforts which do no more than impart a few
isolated words or phrases will not maintain or develop anything
approaching full functional competence in the language.

     That said, I should point out that through the required study
of Spanish in our public schools in south Texas, which entailed
entirely grammar-translation competence in the language for six
years, beginning with grade 6 (with NO social/interpersonal spoken
use), I was able to pursue graduate study in linguistics and anthro-
pology in Mexico, completely in Spanish. But without an enormous
dedication to building a multi-year curriculum and implementing it,
and undertaking the tremendous task of corpus planning to create
advanced text materials in the language in all of the content areas
of history, science, etc., for most native communities such an
outcome as I experienced would be an unlikely dream. The message
I would like to leave is that it IS possible -- and the dramatic stories
of a few dedicated efforts by individuals to teach themselves the
language even as adults demonstrate this -- but it will take the long-
term enlightened dedication of communities and schools to achieve
this dream.

    Rudy

    Rudy Troike