Open Letter to Secretary of Interior Jewell

Wayne Leman wleman1949b at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 20:24:27 UTC 2014

Jon:

I wasn't aware of your article. Thank you for giving me a link to it. I'm
reading it now. Yes, the U.S. government needs to do more. And tribes need
to do more, and parents and grandparents. Of course, it can be difficult for
primary caregivers given the negative experiences so many speakers of
indigenous languages have had. But it will take everyone pulling together to
save these languages. I am also sharing this message with Dr. Dick
Littlebear on the Cheyenne reservation who is a strong proponent of
immersion programs, as you know.

Wayne