neologisms

Hammond, Michael - (hammond) hammond at email.arizona.edu
Wed Aug 27 16:32:29 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: [ilat] Neologisms and Indigenous Languages
Date: August 26, 2014 9:40:05 AM MST
To: Adrienne Tsikewa <miss_adrienne7 at yahoo.com<mailto:miss_adrienne7 at yahoo.com>>
Cc: ILAT <ilat at list.arizona.edu<mailto:ilat at list.arizona.edu>>

Hi Adrienne

I know for Welsh there is at least one group that does this as contract work for the government or private companies. For example, some company might want to have Welsh terminology, for recording studios. This group goes in and surveys the recording community about existing words that might already be used, proposes new ones where needed. I believe they do surveys again about whether the new ones work.

Of course, it's an evolving thing, so the words may or may not catch on. It's what you might expect. They might propose some morphologically complex form for a novel item, but the English borrowing is more appealing, or vice versa.

Is it necessary? I would think definitely so. If, for example, there were no Welsh words for the things in a recording studio, otherwise fluent Welsh speakers would turn to English in that setting...and it would be one more area where the language could lose ground.

mike h.