Recording field interviews

BSantaMaria bernisantamaria at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 20:29:07 UTC 2014

Throwing out a question for feedback on what type of recording instrument
is used for interviews of individuals or groups? I haven't done this since
using old cassette tapes, know there's new equipment "out there"--I cant
afford the expensive ones, but if anyone knows of some basic ones and also
what is process for using it to transcribe on computer.

Another question--we have a lot of archival cassette audio tapes that need
to be transferred to another device, how many cassette tapes can be
recorded onto it? should we place them on CDs or what is recommended to
make them more manageable in order to transcribe from them more easily?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bernadette A. SantaMaria
Cultural Advisory Member, Nohwike' Bagowah Museum/Culture Center
Fort Apache