Last Monolingual Chickasaw Citizen Walks On at 93 (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 17:56:56 UTC 2014

Last Monolingual Chickasaw Citizen Walks On at 93
Chickasaw Nation<http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/advanced/search?fq[0]=ts_field_full_name%3AChickasaw%20Nation>
1/3/14

Emily Johnson Dickerson, a full blood Chickasaw who spoke only the
Chickasaw language her entire life, died at her Ada, Oklahoma home on
Monday, December 30, 2013. She was 93.

Dickerson was the last monolingual Chickasaw language speaker, according to
Joshua Hinson, director of the Chickasaw Nation Language Department.
Hinson, who has devoted his career to revitalization of the Chickasaw
language, said the loss of Dickerson was monumental. “I’m still trying to
wrap my mind around the loss and what this means to the Chickasaw Nation,”
he said. Dickerson was one of only an estimated 70 remaining fluent
speakers of the Chickasaw language.
Access full article below:
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/01/03/last-monolingual-chickasaw-citizen-walks-93-152964