Promoting the beauty of traditional languages (with video) (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:26:04 UTC 2014

Promoting the beauty of traditional languages (with video)

BY KERRY BENJOE, LEADER-POST JANUARY 16, 2014

REGINA — There is beauty in language, say language lovers.

On Thursday, the First Nations University of Canada hosted a Visual
Language Conference to coincide with a new art exhibit called Endangered
Alphabets.

Tim Brooks, creator of the exhibit, said the idea for the 14-piece
collection grew out an interest in endangered languages from around the
world.

“I came across a website that has all of the world’s writing systems and I
was blown away,” he said. “First of all, I never heard of most of them and
I am a well-travelled guy. Second thing was, to look at, they were just
visually extraordinary. Some of them were so beautiful and some of them
were so strange.”

Access full article below:
http://www.leaderpost.com/life/Promoting+beauty+traditional+languages+with+video/9397219/story.html