Senators Fight to Preserve Tribal Cultures Through Native Languages (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:31:21 UTC 2014

Senators Fight to Preserve Tribal Cultures Through Native Languages
Sen. Tim Johnson<http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/advanced/search?fq[0]=ts_field_full_name%3ASen.%20Tim%20Johnson>
1/17/14

Senator Jon Tester (D-Montana) is teaming up with Senators Tim Johnson
(D-South Dakota), Mark Begich (D-Alaska), and Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) to
preserve Native languages and help strengthen Indian culture and education.

Tester and his colleagues this week introduced the Native Language
Immersion Student Achievement Act. The bill establishes a grant program to
fund Native language educational programs throughout Indian Country in
order to improve high school graduation rates, increase college enrollment
and better prepare students for jobs.

“We are racing against the clock to save and revitalize our sacred Native
American languages,” Tester said. “Preserving Native languages will
strengthen Indian culture and increase student confidence—leading to
greater academic achievement and a stronger economy. I am proud to help
strengthen Indian Country and the languages and traditions that make it a
special place.”
Access full article below:
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/01/17/senators-fight-preserve-tribal-cultures-through-native-languages-153158