Museum highlights First Nations languages with new exhibit (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 15:47:34 UTC 2014

Museum highlights First Nations languages with new exhibit

Sarah Petrescu / Times Colonist
June 6, 2014 10:16 PM

The new Our Living Languages exhibit at the Royal B.C. Museum is one of the
main reasons the cultural arm of the United Nations decided to hold its
national annual conference in Victoria this week.

“This exhibit was a very important factor, as were the aboriginal programs
at the University of Victoria,” said Axel Meisen, president of the Canadian
Commission for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural
Organization (UNESCO).

“Aboriginal languages are part of human heritage and windows into culture.
Our goal is to have a lively discussion around languages and explore the
ideas and links to UNESCO.”
Access full article below:
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/museum-highlights-first-nations-languages-with-new-exhibit-1.1119450#sthash.3EFkmcsq.dpuf