Dealing with emotional consequences of historical trauma in the language classroom

Dr. MJ Hardman hardman at ufl.edu
Sat Mar 1 14:56:12 UTC 2014

Rudy, this sounds similar to what we did with Aymara.  One student after one
semester successfully shopped in the Central Market in La Paz in Aymara &
ended up staying with an Aymara family.  Our course is also on the web
http://aymara.ufl.edu/ including voice, exercises, etc.  MJ

On 3/1/14 12:21 AM, "Troike, Rudolph C - (rtroike)"
<rtroike at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Some years ago I read that the Oneida had launched a (then-)successful
> campaign to revive the use of the language based on the need to have
> participants in certain ceremonies. This of course would not work as well in
> an urban setting, but embedding the language learning in a context of honoring
> and perpetuating significant aspects of historical culture might help
> motivationally, as conversely might applying it to modern technological use as
> a challenge (being able to share information within a knowledgeable peer
> group, so that the language is relevant, and not just a difficult learning
> exercise).
>

> Methodologically, the teaching model we created for a course in Bolivian
> Quechua at the University of Texas some years ago might easily be adapted. By
> the middle of the second semester, students were able to communicate with a
> visiting student from Peru who spoke a radically different dialect (considered
> by some linguists to be a separate language), discussing differences in
> education in the U.S. and Peru. (Most modern language courses I know reach
> this level of proficiency after 4 semesters, rather than 1 1/2!) The textbook,
> by Garland Bills, Bernardo Vallejo, and myself, is available on the web, and I
> am told that the lab lessons are also.
>

> The crucial aspect of the success of the model was in the lab lessons, which
> (at the outset) had students memorize conversations and practice sentences by
> listening to them being repeated 3 times before being provided a space to say
> them, then hearing another repetition followed by a space, and then hearing a
> final confirmation. After about the 5th lesson, memorizing a constructed
> conversation becomes burdensome, so we dropped that requirement in favor of
> using the patterns for expanded and innovative use in the classroom. But the
> key is building up hearing/listening (receptive) ability first.
>

> In a heritage language setting like this, I would add engaging the students in
> the creation of novel conversations, jokes, playlets, etc., as soon as a
> minimally adequate level of competence had been reached. In many native
> communities, being able to turn a joke in the language is a socially desirable
> skill. Finding ways to engage learners in their own learning could be a key.
> Writing first and reading aloud rather than being forced into impromptu
> speaking can make things easier.
>

> A great mistake in much of modern language teaching ideology is pressing
> students for informal conversational competence, without developing an
> adequate receptive foundation. I have queried college seniors who had taken a
> required 2 years (4 semesters) of Spanish, and found that they had already
> forgotten most of what they studied, thus almost totally wasting that much of
> their lives. (By contrast, from a reading/grammar-translation approach with no
> speaking whatsoever, I was successfully able to take graduate courses taught
> [...]

Dr. MJ Hardman
Professor Emeritus
Linguistics, Anthropology and Latin American Studies
University of Florida
Doctora Honoris Causa UNMSM, Lima, Perú
website:  http://clas.ufl.edu/users/hardman/