Dealing with emotional consequences of historical trauma in the language classroom

Dr. MJ Hardman hardman at ufl.edu
Sun Mar 2 01:11:19 UTC 2014

You are quite right & I am glad that you are so doing.  If you can read
Spanish I would recommend < Mark Qillqa TUPE Estudio Histórico-Cultural de
Marka-Tupe Pueblo de habla Jaqaru. Año 750 D.C. - 2010 > Dimas Bautista
Iturrizaga [
http://unmsmnoticiasfondoeditorial.blogspot.com/2010_08_01_archive.html ]
Dr. Bautista is a native speaker of Jaqaru.  MJ

On 3/1/14 7:30 PM, "BJG" <egonxti at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that language loss not only should be related to historical trauma,
> but that it is a part of historical trauma, and cannot be
> addressed/revitalised/reclaimed/revived/maintained without being a part of a
> larger response to historical trauma. I am currently trying to do a literature
> review on exactly this topic, and would be eternally grateful for any
> suggestions.
>
> Bryan James Gordon

>> This is Evan Gardner from "Where Are Your Keys?"
>>
>> When I first started in the native language revitalization effort I realized
>> (to my surprise) the problem of language loss was not primarily due to poor
>> pedagogy or teaching strategy. I realized, through many difficult moments in
>> community learning events, that the real issue is creating a safe community
>> of learners who have the capacity to handle moments of healing through,
>> during, and because of language learning. These healing moments happen across
>> age groups, ethnicities, identities, and income.
>>

>> I have found that now 90% of my work is community revitalization and the
>> building of a supportive language environment. Finding techniques for dealing
>> with politics, lateral oppression, historical trauma, childhood sexual
>> trauma, adult sexual trauma, intergenerational trauma, learned helplessness,
>>  poverty, scarcity, discrimination, reverse discrimination, lateral
>> discrimination (who is Indian enough to be worthy of learning and teaching
>> the language), fraud, corruption, educational discrimination, low graduation
>> rates, Book Indian, red apple, colonization, decolonization, religious
>> corruption, kidnapping by various governmental and non governmental agencies,
>> the rewriting of history by everyone... native, non native, locals,
>> academics, and newspapers not to mention all the Facebook "friends" tearing
>> each other apart. This list goes on and on... And is nothing new for anyone
>> working with endangered languages worldwide.
>>

>> But I firmly believe a healthy approach to all this is through the language.
>> That is where the other 5% of my work is done. The other 5% is logistics!
>>

>> Now whenever I am asked by a community for language support my first question
>> is about the health and capacity of the "mental health" "behavioral health"
>> "family counseling" departments of the tribe (even they are not immune). I
>> have found that having the mental health departments involved right from the
>> beginning has made a huge difference in perspective and the ability of the
>> community to effectively collaborate.
>>>>
>> I have taken a core team of language workers to a family counseling session
>> to ask for tools in creating and managing a healthy community language night.
>> The health professionals were very willing to offer anything they could. They
>> told us a good starting place is learning debriefing tools and managing
>> "talking circles" within your local cultural custom. Learning a variety of
> [...]

Dr. MJ Hardman
Professor Emeritus
Linguistics, Anthropology and Latin American Studies
University of Florida
Doctora Honoris Causa UNMSM, Lima, Perú
website:  http://clas.ufl.edu/users/hardman/