Tester applauds House introduction of Native Languages Bill (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 23:43:07 UTC 2014

Tester applauds House introduction of Native Languages Bill*Senate Indian
Affairs Committee chair thanks Rep. Cole, looks to move forward with
measure*

(U.S. SENATE) — Senator Jon Tester, Chairman of the Senate Committee on
Indian Affairs, today released the following statement after Congressman
Tom Cole (R-Okla.), an enrolled member of the Chickasaw Nation, introduced
identical legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives to Tester’s
Native Language Immersion Student Achievement Act. Tester’s bill
establishes a grant program to fund Native language educational programs in
order to improve high school graduation rates, increase college enrollment
and better prepare students for jobs:

“I appreciate Congressman Cole stepping forward to help preserve and
revitalize our sacred Native American languages. Preserving Native
languages will strengthen Indian culture and increase student confidence –
leading to greater academic achievement and a growing economy in Indian
Country. I look forward to working with Tom to pass this bill and preserve
the languages and traditions that strengthen Indian Country.”

Access full article below:
http://www.charkoosta.com/2014/2014_03_20/Sen_Tester_Native_Languages_Bill.html