Mi'kmaq is making a comeback in a Nova Scotia community (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:32:56 UTC 2014

*Mi'kmaq is making a comeback in a Nova Scotia community*
By Jaime Myslik, special to, CBC News Posted: Mar 25, 2014 10:00 AM ET
Last Updated: Mar 25, 2014 10:00 AM ET

A Nova Scotia-based indigenous group is already living the benefits of a
Mi'kmaq revitalization project funded by the federal government.

Delina Petit Pas, chairperson of the Mi'kmaq Burial Grounds Research and
Restoration Association, says she is already hearing more Mi'kmaq spoken
around her.

Read more from the series and explore the data here.

"I go shopping and they’ll say 'hello' to me and 'how are you' in Mi'kmaq,"
she said. "You notice and you know that's going to happen in our community
for a while."

In October, the Department of Canadian Heritage gave the Mi'kmaq Burial
Grounds Research and Restoration Association the $66,060 grant under the
Aboriginal Languages Initiative. This money went toward the Mi'kmaq
language project in Nova Scotia's Lunenburg County.

While it isn't a lot of money, it makes a big difference for the
association. The program financed a retreat for 20 people in the fall as
well as regular ongoing language classes within the community, Petit Pas
said.

"We have, on average, about 40 people that attend the lessons, and so you
can imagine what that does," Petit Pas said. "When they meet they're
conversing so we're finding that it's quite a success."

According to the 2011 Statistics Canada census, Mi'kmaq is one of the top
10 spoken mother tongue Aboriginal languages in Canada, with 8,030 speakers.

​
*Access full article below*:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mi-kmaq-is-making-a-comeback-in-a-nova-scotia-community-1.2557138
​