First Nation knowhow to help save our landscapes (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:51:23 UTC 2014

May 8, 2014
AUS

First Nation knowhow to help save our landscapes

The deep knowledge of First Nation (Aboriginal) people is being called on
as part of a nationwide effort to stem the tide of extinction and decline
that is engulfing the Australian landscape and its wildlife.

At a major scientific meeting in Canberra today, a new website will be
unveiled which brings together thousands of records documenting Aboriginal
traditional knowledge about Australian native landscapes, plants and
animals.

The knowledge is presented in the form of a world-first map, which records
publically-available Australian Indigenous bio-cultural knowledge (IBK)
that is place-based. The detailed content of the identified documents is
only made available with the express permission of the Aboriginal
communities which own it.

Aboriginal people and non-Indigenous scientists and managers are currently
working together on hundreds of projects across Australia to understand and
better manage country using a combination of indigenous bio-cultural
knowledge and ecological science.

Access full article below:

http://phys.org/news/2014-05-nation-knowhow-landscapes.html