grad programs in documentation

Haley De Korne hal1403 at yahoo.com
Sat May 10 21:43:19 UTC 2014

Hi Monica et al,
Great discussion & great to hear that
more programs are including issues of pedagogy (& hopefully also
policy, program design, language ideologies, multilingualism, etc).
I've met quite a few students interested in the transmission/ social
status of endangered languages who were channelled towards documentary
linguistics and/or formal analysis, which I think is unfortunate.

I wholeheartedly recommend the MA in Applied Linguistics at
the University of Victoria, where I had great support looking at
revitalization issues, and also recommend the PhD in Educational
Linguistics in the school of Education at the University of
Pennsylvania, where I am currently. There are lots of relevant links
between revitalization and the disciplines of education, anthropology,
social policy, child development, and of course applied linguistics,
among others-- people interested in this area shouldn't feel the need to restrict themselves to linguistics-- and in fact we'll be better off if they don't, because we need people with expertize in all these areas,
in my opinion.

best regards,
Haley

Haley De Korne