Kaurna language revived (fwd link)

Phil Cash Cash weyiiletpu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:35:57 UTC 2014

*Kaurna language revived: *

*Adelaide region's Indigenous language celebrated as part of dedicated week*
The World Today
By Natalie Whiting
Posted 7 Oct 2014, 3:54pmTue 7 Oct 2014, 3:54pm
​ AUS​

The Indigenous language of the Adelaide region is being revived after years
despite no-one fluently speaking it and no voice recordings existing.

A dedicated team has spent 25 years trawling through historical documents
to piece together the language of the Kaurna people.

Now entire conversations are being held in the long-forgotten tongue as
part of the inaugural Kaurna Language Week.

When 'Aunty' Alitya Wallara Rigney became principal of an Aboriginal school
in Adelaide in the late 1980s, she wanted to incorporate the Kaurna
language into the syllabus but faced the dilemma of trying to find out more
about it.

She contacted linguist Dr Rob Amery and their work began to put the Kaurna
language back together and teach it in the school.

"We were learning it the night before we were teaching it the next day,"
she said.

​Access full article below:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-07/kaurna-language-revived-adelaide/5796282
​