audio / clock drift

Lindsay Marean lmarean at bensay.org
Mon Sep 15 20:16:09 UTC 2014

I'm hoping that someone here on ILAT has run into this problem and can
suggest a way to deal with it:

We're recording fluent speakers talking, with both audio recorders and
video recorders.  Recently I recorded a session in which an audio
recorder picked up one speaker really well, and a video recorder picked
up another speaker really well.  I can use Audacity to combine the audio
(one on each stereo channel) into a single WAV file that I can then use
with ELAN for transcription.

The problem is that the two recorders don't record at exactly the same
speed.  In a long session, this difference becomes very noticeable - the
two tracks may be perfectly synchronized at the beginning, but they will
be out of sync by the end.

Here are a few things I've found on the Internet that I think discuss
the same issue: http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/v4/help/hs1550.htm and
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75868.

I've been trying to use the change tempo function of Audacity to adjust
one track, but it's been trial-and-error - change by a small value, see
if it works, and then when it doesn't, undo the change, and change by a
different small value.  So far my approach is really time-consuming but
still not really successful for making a transcribable track.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem?  How?  Does anyone know of a
better way to get both tracks moving at the same speed, beginning to end?

Thank you!
Lindsay Marean