Digital Divide & Language Loss

s.t. Bischoff bischoff.st at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 14:33:49 UTC 2014

Hello all,

Some of you may have seen this...It may have even been posted here in the
past (apologies if that is the case)...

Digital Language Death

Abstract
Of the approximately 7,000 languages spoken today, some 2,500 are generally
considered endangered. Here we argue that
this consensus figure vastly underestimates the danger of digital language
death, in that less than 5% of all languages can
still ascend to the digital realm. We present evidence of a massive die-off
caused by the digital divide.

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0077056&representation=PDF

Here is a link to a slightly older piece Massive Digital Divide for Native
Americans is ‘A Travesty’
<http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2011/05/massive-digital-divide-for-native-americans-is-a-travesty132/>
that
is relevant to the first I think.