andera 'woman' Celtic ?

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Sat Apr 3 05:13:26 UTC 1999

"roslyn frank" <roslynfrank at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Having said that, I would suggest that the overall thrust of Vennemann's
>argument is worthy of consideration, namely, a model that posits a
>higher node and consequently, an older source for the IE and Euskeric
>items alike. In such a simulation of events, one could argue that
>originally the item was used in reference to a "woman" and that over
>time the term was generalized to refer to "human, person".

Vennemann, as I read him, is not claiming that Greek <ane:r>, G.
<andros> "man, male" (PIE *H2ner-) has a Vasconic etymology.  He
merely claims that the element -andr- in a word like <salamandra>
and names such as Andromeda, Andromache and Kassandra might be
derived from a Vasconic *andr- "woman" instead of Greek <ane:r> "man".

>These individuals called <chandros> (i.e., sing. <chandro>) are referred
>to throughout the text in the masculine so there is no question about
>their gender. Moreover, from the duties assigned, it is likely that the
>group as a whole was composed exclusively of men. In short, in this
>concrete case there is little question about the ultimate female
>referentiality of the "title" of <chandro>, its derivation from
><etxekoandre>.

I'm not familiar with the term "chandros", who it refers to, or
what the history of the word is, but on the evidence presented
here, I don't see any compelling reason to derive the word from
<etxekoandre(a)>.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam