The Neolithic Hypothesis

Mon Apr 5 16:44:50 UTC 1999

I've seen some confusing arguments linking Jutes, Geats & Goths--based only
on the resemblance on the names
What's the scoop on that?

I've also seen arguments linking the Angles to the Frisians, claiming they
were basically the "Frisians of Angeln."

However, didn't Anglian have /k/ where Frisian and Saxon had /ch/?

And I've seen the argument that Scots [Lallans] & Northumbrian are
essentially Modern Anglian while R. P. is basically Modern Saxon with some
modest Anglian influence [e.g. I < ik instead of ich & 3rd ps -s instead of
-eth].

All of this sounds pretty simplistic, so I'd like to hear something a bit
more concrete

[snip]

>I've never seen any Jutish, and Anglian only of the
>non-continental variety.  Neither Kentish (sometimes though to be
>the continuation of Jutish on Englsih soil) nor Anglian look
>particularly like "bridge dialects".  It's true that O.E. is
>probably the West Germanic language with most similarities to
>North Germanic (even before the Viking era).

[snip]