andera 'woman' Celtic ?

Mon Apr 5 16:53:51 UTC 1999

The link of possible Vasconic elements to Greek is where Vennemann baffles
me. I can understand the idea of a possible Vasconic substrate in Western
and Central Europe but Greece seems too far afield. On the other hand, his
proposed etymologies based on -andr- are interesting. You just have wonder
how they may have been incorporated into Greek --via a third language [i.e.
the "Aegean" or Pelasgian substrate] or what.

[snip]

>Vennemann, as I read him, is not claiming that Greek <ane:r>, G.
><andros> "man, male" (PIE *H2ner-) has a Vasconic etymology.  He
>merely claims that the element -andr- in a word like <salamandra>
>and names such as Andromeda, Andromache and Kassandra might be
>derived from a Vasconic *andr- "woman" instead of Greek <ane:r> "man".

[snip]