Mycenaean (Standardization)

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Wed Apr 7 06:24:53 UTC 1999

In a message dated 4/5/99 8:14:05 AM, I wrote:

<<There is a curve that is observable with the coming of literacy.  A fair
number of IE languages do show quite a bit of change in their first centuries
of literacy - if for no other reasons then just getting the characters and
their sounds straight.

If Mycenaean truly shows no sign of change during the centuries from the time
it was first written, that would seem unusual.  And certainly might suggest
some kind of standardizing... Otherwise we would expect "dialectic
gradients," wouldn't we?>>

Our Moderator's replied:
  <<In accounting ledgers???>>

Well, Linear B wasn't just numbers.

This is a sample from "The Codebreakers" by David Kahn:
"Koldos the shepherd holds a lease from the village: 48 litres of wheat.
One pair of wheels bound with bronze, unfit for service.
Four slaves of Koradollos in charge of seed-corn.
Two tripods: Aigeus the Cretan brings them."

It is said they contain nothing "beside these minutely detailed bureaucratic
records of petty commercial transactions."  And legal, census, conscription,
tax and contractual stuff.

However they do obviously contain plenty of what some on the list would call
"everyday language."  And they reflect the need to be PRECISE and
predictable.  The writers were not being wishy-washy - four slaves of
Koradollas in charge, Aigeus the Cretan, 48 litres of wheat.  Pair of wheels,
but unfit for service. Very precise.

In fact, this is what the overwhelming volume of medieval Latin text is like.
 Doomsday Books and tax records and birth records and conscription records
and official proclamations and who went where when.