R: Re: Using Dictionaries (was Re: Greek question (night?))

Frank Rossi iglesias at axia.it
Wed Apr 7 15:45:32 UTC 1999

Miguel CV wrote:

> How does the Galician standardization compare?  To what extent is
> the choice for Western morphology and Eastern pronunciation, for
> instance, a conscious "political" move, and to what extent might
> it be a side effect of either the Mediaeval standard or modern
> regional economics (as opposed to "national" [or should I say
> "popular"] politics)?

>From what I've been told, the official Neo-Galician language is very much
influenced by "Popular" politics, the basic aim being to keep it as Spanish
(i.e., Castilian) as possible and as distant as possible from Portuguese
(which as I keep repeating is difficult to do, if we think of the dialects
just over the border). However, I'll consult my Galician contacts on this
(not my wife!) and come back with a more detailed report.

Thanks to both Miguel and Larry for their replies.
Regards

Frank Rossi
Bergamo, Italy
iglesias at axia.it