OCS, Polish, and other Modern Slavic languages

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Wed Apr 7 23:08:38 UTC 1999

Steve Long (X99Lynx at aol.com) wrote:

><<Polabian:
>Nos fader, tu tui jis va nebisai, sjota varda tuji jaima.>> (sans accents)

>This appears to be another "Wendish" dialect than Sorb.

Polabian, the language of the Slavs living on ("po") the Elbe
("Labe"), is West Slavic, but different from Sorbian.
Apparently, it was still spoken in the 17th/18th cc., although by
that time heavily influenced by Low German, as the above phrase
shows (cf. <fader> and <varda> < Low German [cf. Dutch <vader>
and <worde>]).  I don't know any Polabian, and I'm a bit confused
by that "tu tui", which must contain "kto:ry" somehow.  I'm
guessing <sjota> is from *swjo~t- "holy".

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam