The Indo-European Hypothesis [was Re: The Neolithic Hypothesis]

Glen Gordon glengordon01 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 02:24:28 UTC 1999

RAY HENDON:
  The exposure side (rate of contact between infecteds and
  susceptibles) of the equation is easily identified in the linguistic
  community:  The relatively few Romans sent to govern England was not
  sufficient to generate a critical mass of exposure units for Latin
  to predominate.  And the Romans left local courts and laws stand,
  lessening the need for everyone to know Latin in order to get along.

Number might have something to do with it but what about languages or
dialects that become viewed as prestigious? I'm sure it's more
complicated than the above otherwise we would have had a secure model
100 years ago :)

Glen Gordon
glengordon01 at hotmail.com