Lynx (was Re: Uralic and IE)

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Sat Apr 10 18:45:05 UTC 1999

Dear Miguel and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Miguel Carrasquer Vidal <mcv at wxs.nl>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 10:33 PM

<snip>

> Not sure.  The sg. is <lusan>, and I guess the sg. oblique stem
> must be <lusanan->.  There's one -n- too many (for a simple
> n-stem based on *leuk^-, we'd expect *lusn (*leuko:n), *lusan-
> (*leukn.-), pl. *lusunk` (*leukones)).  Metathesis leunk ~ leukn?
> The Balto-Slavic forms (lu:s^is, rysI), on the other hand,
> suggest *luHk^-, with intrusive laryngeal.

I personally subscribe to the idea of 'laryngeals' but those who oppose it
rightly complain of 'laryngealitis', a condition characterized by explaining
every inconvenient anomaly by supposing a laryngeal ex machina.

And since when do 'laryngeals' intrude? What conditions that rude intrusion?

Why not just simply explain the long vowel as due to compensatory
lengthening? Vnk -> V:k?

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)