Latin and Slavonic for `moon'

Tue Apr 13 15:28:19 UTC 1999

[snip]

>You may need new sources.  Just about everywhere Gothic is discussed you'll
>find references to the attestation of East Gothic being spoken in the Crimea
>in the 16th Century.  See, eg. P. Heather, The Goths, p. 259, Blackwell
>(pb1998); Hawkins in Comrie, The World's Major Languages at p, 69.

	The vast majority of the Goths went west to conquer Spain [the
Visigoths] and Italy [the Ostrogoths].
	I forget whether those who ended up in Crimea were descended from
Goths who managed to escape from the Huns when their power was broken or
what
	In any case, Spaniards are still sometimes referred to as <godos>
"Goths"

[snip]