Conservatism

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Wed Apr 14 08:08:26 UTC 1999

In a message dated 4/13/99 4:16:17 PM, roslynfrank at hotmail.com wrote:

<<For example, as is well known, legal terms are frequently more conservative
(or less innovative) than the rest of the lexicon. I think Steve Long or
perhaps someone else on the list recently mentioned that the standardizing
influence of law and religion.>>

FROM The Sociolinguistics of Interlingual Communication by E. A. NIDA:
<<The fact that conservatism in language, politics, and religion always
seem to go together never impressed me so much until a highly perceptive
Chinese professor, Ye Zinan, expressed to me his surprise in finding this so
generally true of the Americans he had met in California.>>

Regards,
Steve Long