OCS, Polish, and other Modern Slavic languages

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Wed Apr 14 09:21:11 UTC 1999

at hand, but I'm quite certain <Leipzig> has an accepted Slavic
etymology, based on Common Slavic <*lipa> "linden tree."  Leipzig,
Dresden, and a number of other toponyms in the basin of the middle
and upper Elbe have Slavic etymologies.  Note current Czech <Lipsko>
= Leipzig, <Dra'z^d'any> (originally an ethnonym, I think)  =
Dresden, where the root-suffix boundaries are a little clearer.  If
anyone is really  interested in the details I can look them up.

Jim Rader