Uralic and IE

Glen Gordon glengordon01 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 08:08:37 UTC 1999

[ Moderator's note:
  Mr. Gordon has unsubscribed from the Indo-European mailing list.  If you wish
  him to see any reply, please send a private copy to him as well as to the
  list.
  --rma ]

MODERATOR:
  Why would a glottal stop "certainly not be" a distinct phoneme?
  I can think of several languages off the top of my head in which
  it is, so there is no reason other than _a priori_ bias to reject
  in for PIE.
ME (GLEN):
  [...] It is because of pairs like *tuH and *twe (and other
  phenomena) which lead me to believe that there were, on top of long
  vowels from loss of laryngeals, differing lengthes of vowels
  determined by stress accent and shape of syllable which cause some
  of the anomalies present WITHIN IE. Hence a more credible *tu:/*twe
  without "intrusive and inexplicable H" fully explainable by accent.
MODERATOR:
   >From: "Glen Gordon" <glengordon01 at hotmail.com>
   >Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:17:52 PDT
   >
   >Well, here's my current position. I accept *H2 and *H3 as being
   >/h/ and /h<w>/ respectively (and thus parallel to the velars).
   >*H1 on the other hand is at most a glottal stop which, iff it
   >occured at all, certainly would not have been a distinct phoneme.

   Your original statement reads as an _a priori_ rejection of glottal
   stop as a possible phoneme in any language.  That may not be what
   you meant, but it is assuredly what you wrote, and on that basis, I
   asked the question above.

It's not at all what I wrote unless you are to interpret *H1, *H2 and
*H3 as being anything other than RECONSTRUCTED PHONEMES. I don't
understand. What does the "*" symbol mean to you? Surely, anyone
reading this would understand that I'm speaking only of a particular
reconstructed language at the very least, if not IE itself to which
*H2 and *H3 are often associated. Being the IE list, I figure unless I
specify another proto-language, *H1-*H3 are purely IE entities and the
statements that follow are statements solely concerning IE. Perhaps
you aren't reading slow enough and striving to understand what you are
reading before jumping off the trigger with irrelevant charges.

Glen Gordon
glengordon01 at hotmail.com
Kisses and Hugs