Celtic substrate influence

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Mon Apr 26 07:52:12 UTC 1999

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Vidhyanath Rao wrote:

> Larry Trask <larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk> wrote:
> > In Parisian French, the preterite seems to have disappeared from
> > speech by about the 16th century, according to Price,

> I have seen the statement made that in the 17th c., the distinction
> was that perfect = past of today and attributed to something called
> Port Royale Grammar. [Comrie's book on Tense might have been the
> source.] I don't know if this refers to the written language, but
> that seems a bit odd.

This is precisely the state of affairs in Castilian Spanish today: the
perfect is used as a past tense to denote events occurring earlier on
the same day.  Such a form has been dubbed a `hodiernal past'.

The perfect was indeed used likewise as a hodiernal past in the kind of
French described in the Port Royal grammar.  That grammar, I think,
describes the formal literary French of the day, rather than vernacular
speech, so it need not be inconsistent with Price's conclusion.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH