Plosive-liquid clusters in euskara borrowed from IE?

Roslyn M. Frank roz-frank at uiowa.edu
Tue Apr 27 04:12:29 UTC 1999

At 10:18 AM 4/24/99 GMT, Miguel Carraquer Vidal wrote:
[snip]

>On the subject of "layabout, good-for-nothing": that seems to be,
>as I've discovered, the basic meaning of Aragonese/Navarrese
>"chandro" [chandro: gandul, haragan, holgazan], discussed here
>recently.  Aragonese initial ch- points to *sandro or *jandro
>(personal name Sandro, Alejandro?), unless the word is somehow
>derived from Provencal (Limousin) chantor/chantre (> Cat. xantre,
>xandre) "singer, minstrel".

Or derived from a pre-Romance language spoken in the same zone, e.g., from
_etxekoanderea_ > etxe(ko)and(e)r(e)a > *echandra > *chandra > chandro
where the ending of _*chandra_ originally referring to a female householder
was "masculinized", i.e., the /a/ was changed to /o/. As I recall, in the
legal text there is no negative connotation to the word. Here it would seem
that we might be dealing with some sort of development analogous in some
sense to _puta/puto_ where _puta_ refers to a "whore" and was/is the
original form (???).

In any case the plot thickens with the addition of Miguel's evidence.

Izan untsa
Roz Frank