Latin and Slavonic for `moon'

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Tue Apr 27 16:55:44 UTC 1999

>X99Lynx at aol.com writes:

>How do you know that and why are you so sure of it?

-- sort of a mixture of "it's in the textbooks" and "basic logic".

>I would be very interested in those late isoglosses and how they were derived.

-- right there in the texts.

>There are the remains of a number of other distinct cultural groups between
>the Agricultural Scythians and north  central Europe in the middle of the
>1st millenium bce.

-- you have inscriptions, or other linguistic data?  Pots are not people.

>Proto-Slavic developed from the AgScyths as a lingua franca of trade along
>the Russian rivers and up into the Novogrod area.

-- this is news. (glyph of irony).

Slavic developed from PIE in the same areas of E. Europe in which Slavs are
found in the earliest historical sources, in what's now eastern Poland and
parts of White Russia and the Ukraine.  Early loanwords from both Iranian and
Germanic show that the proto-Slavs were in contact with both.

And, of course, the Baltic and Slavic show common innovations with
Indo-Iranian at a very early date, long before their division into separate
languages.  They (or Balto-Slavic) were on the extreme northwestern fringe of
the kmtom-satem phenomenon, for instance.

>But needless to say all these Proto-Slavs cover a huge amount of ground

-- yup.  They're the "original" IE-speaking population of the area east of
the Germanics and south of the Balts, as far east as the Iranian-speakers who
predominated in the steppe zone of the Ukraine from at least the Bronze Age
onwards.

>And how sure are you of all this?

-- these are commonplaces.