Taboo replacements

Wed Apr 28 14:53:44 UTC 1999

	You're right that taboo replacement goes far beyond superstition
and reverence." Otherwise, we wouldn't expect taboo words in modern
societies e.g. "cock" is taboo in American English and male chicken are
known as "roosters"
	On the Columbia River east of Portland there is a tall erect
pinnacle known as "Rooster Rock" which was bowdlerized from the original
"Cock Rock"
	Yet we also see "resurrected taboo words" such as "jock," which
formerly meant "penis" and now means "athlete" [at least in America] and
even "jockette" for a female athlete

[snip]