indoeuropean/hand

Tue Aug 3 22:47:33 UTC 1999

Various researchers link ides/-idus to Etruscan
see below

*itu- "Ides" < "to divide" [az96: 25; g/lb83, pa, dep]
see Latin gloss idus, itus, ituare [az96: 25; g/lb83]
see ituna [mp68]
itus "middle" [g/lb83, lb 90, mp 75]
see Latin ides [g/lb83, lb 90, mp 75]

	re: ituna

ital "fondato, fisso?" [az96]
< *sed- "seat, base" [az96]
itani "statue" [az96]
itesale "foundation, firmament" [az96]
itha "base, seat" [az96]
itiia "fondatezza" [az96]
itir "bases" [az96]
itli "base" [az96]
itna < ituna "to found, base" [az96]

[snip]

>>Now, my understanding is that the root idea of -idus- is of a division by
>>halves.  When the months used to be lunar, the kalends marked the first
>>appearance of the slip of the new moon, and the ides were the date of the
>>full moon.  Perhaps this could be worked into your hypothesis as well.

[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women