Chronology of the breakup of Common Romance [long]

Wed Aug 11 18:02:25 UTC 1999

	I seem to remember that the Vikings used a term translated as
"Bluemen" to refer to Moors. I think it was something like blaamen,
blagmen, blahmen. The term was supposedly calqued in Gaelic and later in
English, hence the use of "Blue men, Blue People" in referring to the
Melungeons of Appalachia. Dennis King might know a bit more about this.

[snip]

>I don't think so.  As far as I know, there was no *blak(u)- in
>the sense of "black" in early Scandinavian.  It's only in English
>and OHG (blah).

[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634