nasal pres / root aor

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 13 07:05:34 UTC 1999

Thanks for your full reply, Jens.  It deserves good thought - but I want to
ask a quick question.  You give examples of nasal present + root aorist from
Tocharian, Baltic, and Hittite.

The options for PIE aorists appear to have been root, -s- or the rare
reduplicated aorist.    Leaving aside the reduplicated aorist, because it
scarcely counts, that leaves root or -s- for most verbs.

Now Baltic has no -s- aorist, and I believe that Hittite doesn't either.
Doesn't this mean the evidence from those languages is meaningless?

Peter