Books on Indo-European

Sean Crist kurisuto at unagi.cis.upenn.edu
Mon Aug 23 12:35:17 UTC 1999

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Frank Rossi wrote:

> Any suggestions on the latest books (or articles) in any language dealing
> coprehensively with:

> a)  the Indo-European Urheimat question and taking into account all the
> latest theories;

That would be Mallory, "In Search of the Indo-Europeans."  It's a good
general overview of the subject; it also serves in part as a rebuttal to
Renfrew, who puts the IE homeland in Anatolia and largely equates the
spread of agriculture with the spread of the IE languages.

> b) pre Indo-European languages in Europe (in particular taking into account
> - pro et contra - Leo Vennemann's theories - Vasconic, Atlantic substate of
> insular Celtic, etc.)

I take it you mean the unattested languages which IE presumably displaced
rather than the attested non-IE languages (Etruscan, Iberian, Tartessian).
I don't know if anyone has ever given an even-handed summary of the
speculation on this topic.

  \/ __ __    _\_     --Sean Crist  (kurisuto at unagi.cis.upenn.edu)
 ---  |  |    \ /     http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/