The UPenn IE Tree: correction

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Tue Aug 24 12:44:58 UTC 1999

In an earlier posting, I remarked that the Penn tree for IE recognized
no Italo-Celtic grouping.  This was true for the original publication.
However, I've just been informed off-list that the Penn group have more
recently produced a revised version of their tree, which *does*
recognize such a grouping.

My apologies for misleading you, but I am a little concerned by the
news.  As I understand it, the change was produced by adding only a
single character to the set of characters used.  If this is right, it
suggests that the approach used at Penn is somewhat less than robust.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH