color terms

Thu Aug 26 15:37:54 UTC 1999

	Colors do seem to be more subject to change or interpretation than
most words.
	Colors for people of various hues have some interesting variations.
In Latin America, Indians [from India as well as Native Americans] are
often spoke of as morado, "purple" [although this may actually be more
related to moro "Moorish"]. I've run into Brazilians who have told me that
they were "orange". I'm told that Kenyans refer to Europeans as "red". The
"blue" people of Appalachia would be seen as "olive" by most Americans.

[snip]

>The surprise actually happens when we think otherwise.  But are semantics
>taken as lightly as you seem to indicate?  I've seen etymologies discounted
>on this list because a word that meant "iron" could not have meant "silver."
>I can find it for you if you like.

[snip]

>My point of course was that a 'blueman' might have nothing to do with blue.
>Not as easy a point to make as I might have thought.

[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women