The UPenn IE Tree (a test)

Sean Crist kurisuto at unagi.cis.upenn.edu
Tue Aug 31 13:33:18 UTC 1999

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Rick Mc Callister wrote:

>> No.  An ancestral language cannot co-exist with its own descendant.>>

> 	Actually it can.
> 	Both Spanish and its daughter language Ladino are alive, although
> Ladino, the daughter language is endangered.
> 	English and the Papuan languages [etc.] that spawned Tok Pisin are
> all alive.

The moderator already answered the case of Ladino, but let me answer about
Tok Pisin.  Tok Pisin is a creole.  English is not an "ancestor" of Tok
Pisin in the same sense that Latin is an "ancestor" of Italian; lineal
descent and creolization are two totally different things.

  \/ __ __    _\_     --Sean Crist  (kurisuto at unagi.cis.upenn.edu)
 ---  |  |    \ /     http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/