Northwest IE attributes

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Sat Dec 18 07:16:24 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

>X99Lynx at aol.com writes:

>Satem is still a very good way to separate I-Ir from the western group.  (I
>believe the current stance is that satem may have been adopted by
>Balto-Slavic.)

-- The Baltic and Slavic languages have undergone satemization; there's no
'may' about it.

eg.,

            PIE         Old Church Slavonic         Lithuanian

heart       *krd        sridice                     serdis
hundred     *kmtom      suto                        simtas

But both Slavic and Baltic (especially Baltic) also show some exceptions;
eg., PIE *peku, 'cattle', becomes Lithuanian 'pekus', not 'pesus'.

[ Moderator's note:
  Even Indo-Iranian shows some exceptions:  Cf. Skt. _kravih._ "raw meat",
  Latin _cruor_ "gore, blood".
  --rma ]