PIE words for sexual organs

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Sat Dec 18 06:16:51 UTC 1999

Dear Mike and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael" <michael_nick at mail.ru>
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 1999 7:54 AM

> Dear IEists!

> I was told that Walter Wuest had an article on IE words
> denoting sexual organs, but i couldn't find. Could anyone
> give a reference? I myself have not infrequently been puzzled,
> that all three PIE words, which can be reconstructed for 'vulva',
> have at the same time the meaning 'buttocks, anus' (namely,
> *putos, *ksutos and *pisdeH2). Any suggestions? [  :-)  ].

I would be very interested to read what others may write concerning *ksuto-s
and *pisdeH2 but, for *pu:to-s, I think it is relatively certain that its
basal meaning is 'source or site of strong fragrance' (as attested by
*pu:ti-, 'rot'), a concept broad enough to include both cunnus and podex
olfactorily.

*ksuto-s probably is derived from *kes-, 'scratch, comb', and could
characterize the 'vulva' (if shaved) and the 'buttocks' as 'smooth,
hairless'; i.e. tactically.

Both the 'vulva' and the 'buttocks' can also be characterized visually as a
(bipartite) 'mound'. One way to account for this phenomenon is to attribute
it to 'fat', and *pisdeH2 is very likely ultimately derived from *pey(6)-,
'be fat, be full of' + *sed-, 'sit', in the sense of 'seat/place of
fatness'; this might be analogous with *ni-zd-os, 'nest'. Without having all
attestations available, I will only speculate that the final -*H2 of your
reconstruction is possibly due *not* to a "laryngeal" but rather is a result
of Ablaut.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga mei?i, n?tr allar niu, geiri unda?r . . . a ?eim mei?i er
mangi veit hvers hann af rotum renn." (Havamal 138)