rate of change

manaster at umich.edu manaster at umich.edu
Thu Feb 4 16:18:01 UTC 1999

So Larry and I agree, as we do actually often do.
I am sorry. I think I must have misinterpreted
Larry's earlier posting and thus gotten
a wrong sense of what he was saying.  Thank
you for the clarification.  I WOULD love to
know if you have any feeling about my
probabilistic reinterpretation of Swadesh's
methods (i.e., they can fail abysmally but
not often) and/or about replacing time depth
with some other measure of how complex,
or ramified a lg family is and how difficult
it shouldbe to reconstruct a protolg.