NSemitic borrowings: in response to Greg Web

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Fri Feb 5 09:33:59 UTC 1999

The Middle Welsh form is <seith>.  The development of  Mod. Welsh
<saith> from British Celtic <*sext-> is completely regular except for the
preservation of initial <s>.  The Gaulish ordinal for "seven" is
<sextametos>, if I remember correctly, and for "six" <suexos>.
Details on the forms and the values of <x> in Gallo-Latin
inscriptions are in Lambert's <La langue gauloise>, which I don't
happen to have in the office today.

Jim Rader