IE in Balkans and Semitic?

Fri Feb 5 21:07:30 UTC 1999

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that cattle were already
domesticated in the Middle Wast BEFORE IE developed and that the
domestication of cattle was reason of the Berber occupation of the whole of
North Africa c. 8K BCE or so.
[btw: if this would be more appropriate on the Nostratic list, we can
discuss it there]

[ moderator snip ]

>some archaeological evidence that cattle was indeed a later
>Anatolian or SE European addition to the original Near Eastern
>Neolithic inventory of livestock (sheep and goats).  So I would
>lean towards the third camp.
>Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
>mcv at wxs.nl
>Amsterdam

[ Moderator's note:
  The discussion of external relations of the Indo-European speaking peoples
  are not off-topic here; rather, once a discussion leaves Indo-European behind
  it is more appropriately discussed on another list.  If there is more to be
  said from an IE perspective, it can stay here, even if it strays afield.
  --rma ]