Chariots

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at online.no
Tue Feb 9 09:31:12 UTC 1999

[ Moderator's note:
  The following is quoted from a posting by JoatSimeon at aol.com, dated 6 Feb.
  I have taken the liberty of adding ">" to the lines quoted.
  --rma ]

>-- Chariots were used in Greece for display and sport in Homer's day,
>particularly in aristocratic circles.  I'd think he was pretty familiar with
>them.

>[ Moderator's reply:
>  The Romans of the first centuries of the common era also used chariots in
>  festivals, but I doubt that either group understood how they would be used
>  in warfare.  Certainly, a chariot would not behave as described by Homer.
>  --rma ]

The use of chariots in war is described by Caesar in De Bello Gallico (e.g.
IV.24). The Celts of Britannia used them, but apparently as much for display as
for efficient warfare.

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,