How weird is Hittite? Not weird enough :)

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 26 11:10:23 UTC 1999

Rick Mc Callister <rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu> wrote:

>But Armenian has had over 2,000 years to get weird
>As I understand it [from my very limited reading about Armenian], Ancient
>Armenian wasn't all that strange
>but exposure to Turkish and so on did a number on Armenian

Yes, Modern Armenian has apparently acquired some "agglutinative"
characteristics, but when it is said that Armenian is "weird", the
reference is to Classical Armenian, which was already weird enough
(mainly in its phonology, although there are some bizarrities in the
morphology as well).

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam