Atlantic substrate of Insular Celtic

Dennis King donncha at eskimo.com
Fri Jan 29 18:50:53 UTC 1999

Theo Vennemann wrote:

> Insular Celtic is structurally an Atlantic language (it is structurally
> more similar to Arabic than to any non-Insular Celtic Indo-European
> language), whereas Germanic is not.

I can see, first off, that I really need to get hold of your
"Etymologische Beziehungen im Alten Europa", which Dr. Hildegard
Tristram recommended to me once before.

In the meantime, would you be willing to summarize for us some
telling evidence in favor of the Atlantic substrate hypothesis?
I'd be especially interested in any specific words in Old Irish
you can trace to such a substrate.

Best regards,
Dennis King