(no subject)

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Fri Jan 29 19:38:44 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

HubeyH at Mail.Montclair.edu (H. Mark Hubey)

>Short note: how is that established? There is a difference between the
>earliest evidence found of humans riding horses, and the earliest datewhen
>humans rode horses.

-- lack of evidence such as bits, teeth with bit-wear markings, cheekpieces,
the age distribution of equid remains found in association with human
settlements or mortuary deposits, etc.

Such evidence is abundant and unambiguous in places where we _know_ horses
were domesticated and used for traction/riding.,

>They have dug all over. I doubt that anyone looks for horses in Siberia.

-- sigh.  You haven't heard of the Pazyryk Scythian tombs?  In short:  yes,
they do look in Siberia.

[ Moderator's comment:
  We can now consider this discussion closed.  Thank you.
  --rma ]